Montana Clean Indoor Air Act
You can help save lives by complying with the Montana Clean Indoor Air Act. If you observe a violation, we would appreciate it if you would take a few moments to describe what you saw by completing a simple violation reporting form.
In 2005, the Montana legislature passed the Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA), one of the most important public health policies in state history. Laws like the CIAA reduce heart attack rates by at least 20 percent. They also reduce lung disease, including lung cancer, as well as other debilitating and fatal illnesses, and they protect unborn children and young children from health problems.
The law requires all enclosed public places and workplaces to be smokefree and it requires businesses to prominently place smokefree signs on all public entrances. The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services has adopted rules.
The health benefits of the law are three-fold:
- Patrons and workers alike are protected from the deadly health effects of secondhand smoke exposure.
- More people who smoke will try to quit.
- Fewer Montana youth will begin smoking.
Surveys reveal that the vast majority of Montanans support the CIAA and believe Montana workers deserve a smokefree place to work. In a recent survey, more than 90 percent of Montanans stated they will visit bars as often or more often now that the law is in place.
Information for Montana Businesses
MTUPP has prepared a number of resources to assist Montana businesses with complying with the CIAA. They are as follows:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Talking About the Montana Clean Indoor Air Act: A Guide for Business Owners, Operators, and Managers
- Business Material Order Form
- National Smoking Laws
- Montana Clean Indoor Air Act: Your Questions Answered
- Let’s Celebrate Smokefree Montana
- Montana CIAA Fact sheet
If You Want to Quit
If you or someone you know would like free help quitting tobacco use of any kind, call: Montana Tobacco Quit Line toll-free at (800) QUIT NOW (1-800-784-8669), or visit the Montana Tobacco Quit Line.